ARE YOU A CAFFEINE ADDICT? - Take a Quiz?

Thursday 4 March 2010

Hand Coffee Mills

This post is about something I haven't saw since I was just a little kid-hand coffee mills.My grandmother had couple of those,and I just loved to grind my coffee in them.

I really enjoyed using traditional hand coffee mills.It’s really funny to know that people used such devices ages ago to prepare their coffee! And it was not easy job to do (at least for a small kid)!And if you had some guests who dropped by for a cup of coffee,there's half day work for you :-) .Maybe they'll come back and become trendy,because they don't use electricity and are eco-friendly.And a manual coffee mill is really compact and small,and the coffee, which is ground with a quality hand coffee mill, is so good as if it’s ground with a professional grinder.It's grinded almost to subatomic level. Last, but not least, by grinding your own coffee, you can drink very fresh coffee!

Maybe I sound too nostalgic or sensitive? So here is one stone cold business fact: Using hand coffee mill is the cheapest way to grind you own coffee! Just think about how much you should pay for a high-quality coffee grinder… Most probably, more than few hundred $! But, I just paid less than $30 for my hand-made manual coffee mill that can be used to grind coffee beans for different brewing methods -from espresso to Turkish coffee!Another good side is that traditional coffee mill is made from brass,and can't be broken.



If I need to summarize, benefits of having a hand coffee mill are as follows:

- No need for electricity
- Relatively cheap
- Functionality of adjustable grind -from Turkish fine ground to coarser
- Nostalgic
- High grinding quality
- Easy to keep and to carry
- Freshness and taste

How about the bottom side? I think the main difficulty of the hand coffee mills is that they depend on your muscle. But, actually, using these manual grinders is not as hard as it sounds, if you don’t consume coffee in massive amounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment